Previous Grand Hotel, Westgate Street
The Grand resort was built in 1886. Formerly Cardiff’s harbour occupied the area in which Westgate Street now runs. The hotel replaced two bars which had stood close to the quays, the Horse & Groom in addition to Red Cow. It was offered at auction for £2, 000 in 1891, filled with stables and outbuildings.
Early trade-union conferences had been held at hotel, in addition to Jewish Amalgamated Society of Tailors found in February 1909 to reorganise its Cardiff part.
The resort has also been popular with sporting societies. Into the 1890s the Cardiff Borough Cycling Club presented right here “smoking concerts”, in which cyclists smoked while playing musicians. In 1893 the new supervisor, Mrs Storkey, advertised the hotel as providing “splendid accommodation for seeing football teams”.
In 1894 rugby ahead Sydney Nicholls acquired a stake in the hotel, that he went for seven years. In those days, rugby union had been an amateur game in addition to people had a need to earn their particular lifestyle off the field. Sydney had been a forward who played for Cardiff and Wales, in which their achievements had been notably eclipsed by those of just one of his brothers, Gwyn Nicholls. Sydney relocated to Hull in 1901 to play rugby league when it comes to city.
One night in January 1908 the manager, Mrs Rosser, realised at 3.30am your hotel’s club had been burning. The woman daughter Lilian, elderly 6, (pictured right together mama) had been among 10 people on the third floor who cannot escape as smoke billowed up the staircase. The fire brigade rescued all of them through the upper house windows.
In 1917 an early women’s rugby match was held at Cardiff Arms Park, between groups from Cardiff and Newport. The Grand Hotel had been deemed an appropriate place for the ladies to improve into and from their kit. Based on Cardiff Rugby Football Club’s historians, the Cardiff staff – mostly contains staff members through the regional Hancocks brewery – ended up being captained by a Miss E Kirton, who later became a familiar employee of this Grand Hotel.
Following the Grand Hotel shut, it absolutely was converted into 22 domestic apartments and commercial places. Part of the building is occupied by The Mango home Indian restaurant, an evergrowing business which features a restaurant in Magor, east of Newport.