This new Palace Cinema ended up being originally built while the Corn Exchange. It unsealed as a cinema on 28th July 1913, with 1, 000 seats, presumably on lengthy benches, together with movie "Zuma – Queen of this Gypsy’s" plus type functions in the stage. By 1916 its seating capability was handed as 500.
The town’s various other cinema, the County Cinema, exposed in 1923 therefore emerged beneath the exact same administration given that Palace Cinema. By 1937 both had been being managed by West of England Cinemas Ltd. additionally the seating capability of the Palace Cinema had been 800.
The County Cinema was closed in the 1970’s and soon after demolished, however the Palace Cinema continued. Unfortunately, by 1995, the balcony was considered hazardous plus the cinema operated on a ‘stalls only’ plan. A heavy rainstorm in November 1996 caused the evacuation associated with cinema, once the liquid got into the electrics. By the end of 1996, programs had been submit to refurbish the building and produce an extra display screen.
It was absorbed by the providers of the Plaza Cinema, Port Talbot and re-opened on 24th might 1998 utilizing the stalls location only. In mid-1999, the operating business went into receivership and its future was in doubt. Although building had been conserved in addition to second display screen had been added in a redundant area in the building in January 2003, leaving the first auditorium undamaged.
The Palace Cinema had been absorbed because of the operators associated with the Coliseum Cinema, Brecon in August 2003. Seating capacities during 2009 tend to be 362 and 150.