Bangor had been founded in 525, only the 2nd cathedral in Britain. Nothing remains of this very early structure. In addition to 12th century Norman chapel right here ended up being damaged by Edward we during their conquest of Wales. Bishop Anian started rebuilding in 1291, but once more small keeps of his work, because of it had been burned once more during Owain Glyndwr's rebellion during the early 15th century. The nave and tower are early Tudor, and there are tombs of 13th century Welsh princes within the south transept.
RecordAround AD 525 a nobleman called Deiniol settled at Bangor, establishing a straightforward cellular. He had been issued land for their mobile by the local oord, probably Maelgwyn, ruler of Gwynedd. He enclosed his cellular within a fence created from upright poles with branhes woven betwee them. The neighborhood language called this kind of construction a 'bangor', plus the title stuck.
Deiniol gathered disciples, whom dwelt with him and went to preach through the location and gathered brand new converts to Christianity. Over time these converts settled around Deiniol's mobile, creating a Celtic monastery, called a clas. The place selected the cathedral ended up being low-lying and unobtrusive, probably in order to prevent attracting interest of Viking raiders cruising across the shore. If that holds true, it had been a method which was maybe not completely successful.
Deilion passed away around AD 572, nevertheless cathedral carried on to grow and grow through the entire pre-Norman duration. In 1073 a marauding band of Vikings sacked and burned the cathedral, but it ended up being reconstructed inside reign of Gruffudd ap Cynan, around 1100. The master was hidden by the high altar as he passed away in 1137. Their child Owain Gwynedd can also be hidden here, along with his sibling Cadwaladr.
In 1211 King John's soldiers yet again sacked the cathedral, but building resumed and also by 1275 the beautiful south transept was finished, followed closely by the north transept and east end around 1300. The cathedral experienced yet again into the Glyndwr rebellion of 1402, plus it was not until 1480 that rebuilding work undoubtedly started. The current arcade and clerestorey had been completed around 1510 together with west tower in 1532, giving us the beautiful and roomy building we see today.
Possibly the best historic function could be the Mostyn Christ, a carved figure developed when you look at the late fifteenth century.
About Bangor Cathedral
Address: Cathedral Close, Bangor, Gwynedd, Wales, LL57 1RL
Appeal Kind: Cathedral
Place: From The A4087
Internet Site: Bangor Cathedral
Phone: 01248 354 999
OS: SH581 721
Photo Credit: Robin Drayton, certified for reuse underneath the innovative Commons Licence
We have 'tagged' this attraction information to help you discover relevant historic attractions and find out more about major schedules pointed out.